Thursday, January 8, 2009

"Does anyone mind if I do a little dancing?" Charlie Day as Charlie Kelly

In my life music is almost always accompanied by movement. Whether I’m listening or performing, some sort of movement is inspired by the music. My experiences as a listener are different than my experiences as a performer. Also the relationship between music and movement is situational. I have been dragged to a dance club and my movement was limited. I'm not into the dance club scene. I can waltz and I used to be able to swing dance, I'm probably a little rusty now. Waltzing doesn’t exactly help when Beyonce or Lil’Snoop is playing. (I’m pretty sure Lil’Snoop isn’t real, I just can’t think of anyone right now.) However, I can mosh. When I was 15 I was really into moshing. The great thing about moshing, and the entire scene that accompanies moshing, is it doesn't matter what you look like when you mosh and no one cares how stupid they look when at a concert of that sort. A punk rock or a heavy metal concert wouldn’t be the same without a mosh pit. I still mosh when it's appropriate, but I have toned down a great deal. There are times when music isn’t joined by movements, like when I’m just trying to clear my mind or if I’m aspleep.
As a performer, movements are often choreographed. In a show there are complicated dance routines that are choreographed to match the words, the rhythms, and the style of the music. For example, in The Mikado there were several songs that had dances accompanying the music. Those dances were beautifully performed by the chorus if I do say so myself. Am I right ladies? The movements of an aria are often more subdued than the movements performed in a chorus line song. When I perform a song I create an appropriate character that moves according to the song’s words and meaning. Movements make songs much more interesting. No one wants to see a musician standing dead still while they perform, that would be unbearably boring. Music inspires movement. Almost everyone taps their foot when listening to music. Sometimes the movements are subtle, but they’re there. Dancing usually does not exist without some sort of music. If someone starts to dance without music there is probably a song running through their head that inspired the dance. If music and dancing were divorced from each they would both be much less interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment