Monday, January 5, 2009

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Laurie Anderson

When I first read this assignment I thought, "What?! I am completely ignorant when it comes to anything about diverse cultures, let alone their music.” Then I thought, "Wait! I've been to the Greek Festival, I've eaten at restaurants of different cultures, and don't I have a crazy uncle who likes to listen to traditional Irish music whenever his wife allows?"

I'll begin with the Greek Festival. I have a friend, that I’ve known for years, who is Greek. Every year her family helps with the Greek Festival and she performs Greek dances. I must say, the music is always very lively and fun. Last time I went I even tried to determine the time of some of the music.

Like most people I have been to a variety of restaurants, this is America after all. The restaurant music that I am most familiar with would have to be Mariachi. My mother is from Texas and one of my uncles married a Mexican woman, so really I’ve heard it all my life. However, I only know two mariachi songs, “La Cucaracha” and the other I don’t know the name of, but I have a funny story that goes along with it. My uncle, the one who married a Mexican woman, hired a mariachi band for my grandfather’s birthday, as kind of a joke. Anyway, my cousin Celina had a request. She admitted to not knowing the song, but that it sounded like “one can tomato” and they knew exactly what song she was talking about. I’ve always found that humorous, maybe that’s just me.

Then there is my crazy uncle that insists on blaring Irish drinking songs and other traditional Irish music from his basement “man cave.” He usually does this around the holidays or whenever a large group of people visit their house. Everyone’s favorite part is when he tries to sing along. The keyword being tries, seeing as he’s rather tone deaf and exceptionally loud. It’s even better when he insists that I sing along although I don’t know any of the songs.

6 comments:

  1. I had the same exact reaction as you to this assignment, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that not feeling particularly diverse. This blog just proves that you only practically have to exist in America to be exposed to other forms of music. When you eat in an Indian restaurant or a Chinese restaurant, for dining pleasure they provide you with some traditional music. Which exposes us to some great new types of music making, while we are preoccupied with the food. It's exposure none the less though! Is the Greek music really like in my Big Fat Greet Wedding, very joyful, buoyant, and celebratory sounding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the term "man cave" my office at home could be thus labeled. I love how I can fill the wastebasket in it beyond capacity and leave it for months. It's the simple things really. My brother used to sing along to the radio to songs he didn't know just to torment us. He'd sort of jump in with the words just behind the singer or mumble non sense if he couldn't keep up. Anyway, it's true, much of our experience of other cultures music filters in below the radar at restaurants, on TV and in Movies, or from wayward uncles and friends. But it's still undeniably there and we take it for granted. I'm sure there are many places in the world were you won't even get the slightest peep from other cultures art and music. I think the feeling many of us will get after this class is akin to Dorothy's revelation that her ruby slippers had the power all along. The music is around us everywhere we just need to open our ears and take it in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah!!! Oh my goodness I love your blog and the fact that you uncle tries to make you sing along with him with the Irish songs.. Does he make you dance too? That would be fun to watch. Thats cool that you are familiar with the Mariachi because I have been around it my entire life as well... Oh, and you forgot to leave one thing out.. that you have heard music from Venezuela!!!!!! Anyways, nice entry<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post, Sarah. Do watch the punctuation and grammar--it's mostly ok, but sometimes it gets away from you. I do love the bit about your crazy uncle!
    Interesting thing about your quote at the top. I LOVE Laurie Anderson. Do you have a definitive citation for that being her quote, though? I've also seen it attributed to Elvis Costello, Miles Davis, Frank Zappa, and John Cage. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah!
    1) I must say I love the title (although eternal seems to be a bit of an overstatement). I especially love the "obscure references" since those tend to be the most amusing. So- bring them on!

    2) I agree, Greek music is every so lively. They have a Greek festival every year here in Spartanburg and the food is amazing! Also, I loved the part about your Uncle. He sounds like such a character. But c'mon- Irish drinking songs are only meant to be heard blaring, right?

    Thank you for sharing! I look forward to much more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Taylor: Yes, My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a pretty acurate portrayal of a Greek party. I'm not being sarcastic. The Greek families I know are so much fun.
    To to no mas lo digas(Ashley): When did I hear Venezuelen music? I did leave out my trip to Spain and everything I experienced there.
    To Dr. Vaneman: Sorry, I'll try to watch my grammer and spelling. I have also heard the quote attributed to several different people, even Steve Martin. I got the quote from Brainyquote.com I'm not sure how reliable it is.

    ReplyDelete