Monday, January 12, 2009

"There is nothing in the world so much like prayer as music is." William P. Merrill

The first song I ever sang in front of a crowd was "Jesus Loves Me." Granted, I was 5 and my grandfather was the pastor. Music and religion have always been present in my life. I don't remember much about my grandfather's church because he retired not long after my musical debut. My mother "tried on" a few other churches after my grandfather retired. Each church we visited handled music differently. The Baptist church played some classics like "The Old Rugged Cross," and the audience did little more than sing. The evangelical church had a lot more audience participation. The audience was dancing in the aisles. There isn't a strict guideline on how to perform worship, at least not in Christian churches. I'll admit, I only have experience with Christian religions. I have no idea how non-Christians go about worshiping their chosen deity.

Until fairly recently (and as far as I know in my limited experience), rock n' roll was banned from traditional churches. My grandmother loves to remind me that the drums in rock music sprang forth from pagan societies and therefore do not belong a house of God or in my CD player. However, now there are several denominations that allow popular Christian music like the Newsboys or Relient K. So I would say music influences religion in a big way. The modern Christian music that I have heard in churches is still always melodious. I'm pretty sure Christian "screamo" still isn't accepted.

Music is always, if not a religious, a spiritual experience. Everyone is touched by some form of music.

5 comments:

  1. I agree. Everyone experiences music in one spiritual way or another. Different music speaks to everyone in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also completely agree. Music does not necessarily need to have a line drawn of denominational worship. It always has and always will continue to be a spiritual experience for certain people. I also find it interesting that some music moves people to worship with their bodies, which is not welcomed at some churches. Your obvious exposure to all different sorts of worship services shows that you know the many different ways people worship with the music. I often wonder what would happen if someone began dancing in the aisles of my church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definetely did know that worshipping such as dancing is not acceptable! I go to a Catholic church and let me tell you, if we did that, we would probably be asked to leave and to never come back. We might even get yelled at by the priest. I burst out laughing when you said your first song you sang in church was "Jesus Loves me". I admit, it was one of my first songs as well! Great Blog, I always enjoy reading your entrys! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having grown up in the Bible Belt, I completely understand how you feel with regards to rock and roll and the church. The church I go to at home is pretty divided because there are an equal amount of elderly people as there are under 30. There has been a controversy at our church as to whether or not we should use the tambourine. You have some really good points, it was interesting reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore that quote.
    On another note-I am afraid that "screamo" of any kind makes me giggle a little.
    I understand the division of rock from church though I am not one who follows that rule.
    My uncle loves the little Christian songs that most in the Bible belt are taught (he is very religious). I was the "Amazing Grace" little girl ^.^

    ReplyDelete