Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." Berthold Auerbach

We all know the traditional rite songs for weddings and funerals.("Here comes the Bride" and "Taps") I never thought about any other rites until the assignment of this blog. If you consider yearly milestones as rites then every birthday is a rite. Wikipedia includes rites of worship in their entry titled "Rite." That would mean every time a church gathers to worship, they are participating in a rite. The entry also includes rites of passage, such as graduation. I never thought of a graduation as a type of rite. We sang a Faith Hill song at my highschool graduation. which I thought was odd, but it worked. Dr. Moody arranged it himself.
I've noticed that many people are choosing to stray from the music traditionally played at certain rites. Usually religious songs are played at funerals, but people are vouching for playing the deceased's favorite song like "Bohemian Rhapsody" instead of "Amazing Grace." My grandfather's funeral was more traditional. We sang one of his favorite hymns and when we were done one of my aunts broke into an impromptu song that was apparently another of his favorite songs. Also I went to a wedding that the bride didn't walk down the aisle to "Here Comes the Bride." I wish I could remember what it was. It was very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment